Saturday, November 16, 2013

Preserving the Harvest



That was the title of my sermonette for the mid-week Prayer Service.  After the recent Evangelism Revival my soul is hungry for more.  Many shared how much they appreciated the renewed focus on soul-winning.  But the question remains: will the momentum continue?  Will we as individuals carry on with passion witnessing and leading people to Christ?
I also shared with those present my personal disappointment that the week of prayer that followed experienced drop in attendance and interest.  Has the regular church become too mundane?
Let me share a humorous observation, about a pastor who quit attending sporting events. 12 Reasons could be given: 1. The coach never came to visit me.
2. Every time I went, they asked for money.
3. The people sitting in my row didn’t seem very friendly.
4. The seats were very hard.
5. The referees made a decision I didn’t agree with.
6. I was sitting with hypocrites, who came to see what others were wearing!
7. Some games went into overtime and I was late getting home.
8. The band played some songs I had never heard before.
9. The games are scheduled on my only day to sleep in & run errands.
10. Parents took me to too many games when I was growing up.
11. I read a book on sports, I feel I know more than the coaches.
12. I don’t want to take my children because I want them to choose for themselves what sport they like best.
Really?  Are you serious?  What does anything of these reasons has to do with sport?  Funny, but that’s a list of typical excuses people have not to be involved in the most exciting activity – being catchers of people for the Kingdom of God!
I read over the book Evangelism, a compilation of Ellen White’s writings on topics of soul winning.  An interesting illustration is presented in Chapter 9: when “with one hand the workers would take hold of Christ, with the other they would grasp sinners and draw them to the Saviour.” (Review and Herald, Sept. 10, 1903).
Picture in your mind – you holding Christ’s hand and that connection is empowering you to become a link to others who need a hand up!  Soul winning is not a religious sport.  It’s a natural process when we are in relations with Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment