Saturday, June 15, 2013

Thoughts on Father’s Day



I looked over my past blogs to see if I ever written anything on Father’s day.  Somehow I thought that this will be first, but I did, in 2010. It was entitled “Father’s Influence” and I made an appeal to fathers to consider the legacy we are leaving in our children.  I invited fathers to ask themselves “Have we shown to our children our love for the Bride of Christ, the Church?  Have we treated our wives with affection and self-sacrificing love, as Christ loved the Church (Ephesians 5:25)?”  Kids are watching, learning from us our attitudes, which will impact their character and life.  Our family life, and our stance to the church, that will shape the next generation.  Our priorities must be set right so our kids would know what is important.
I wonder if the significance of the Fathers’ day has been downplayed in our community.  Thanks Don for facilitating the potluck today!  In 2011 I had written a blog on the history of Father’s Day, learning that it was a woman who pushed for the recognition of the date, maybe as a complement top the Mothers’ day celebrated a month earlier.  Our relationships with our fathers affect our attitude toward this celebration.  Yet, when we consider our Heavenly Father, we ought to remember also our duty of honor and respect to our earthly fathers.
After decades of neglect and politicking only in 1972 the day began to be celebrated officially in North America.  So tomorrow will be the 41st Father’s Day!  I will not get a chance to spend the day with my boys and family as I am required to attend a 5 days-long training at Camp Frenda with a cohort of 40 other pastors, leaving from home at 8 am.  My boys are always in my prayer.  As a shepherd in my home I remind fathers that we must “be diligent to know the state of your flocks, And attend to your herds” (Proverbs 27;23).  Guard all powerful influences in our children’s lives.   
1.       Guard their Friends.  Proverbs 13;20.  Companions of our children mold their attitude!
2.       Guard their Education.  The worldview our children learn in school will become their worldview.  Know what they are taught and who is teaching them.  Get involved in shaping their worldview!
3.       Guard their Music.  Teach your children to discern the messages in music.  Lead by example of what you listen too.  Protect their imagination from the sensual worldly damage.
4.       Guard their Media/movies/TV.  Boys especially are very visual, next generation interprets reality through stories they watch.  Take time to watch edifying programs together.
5.       Guard their internet.  Train your kids to run from evil.  Keep internet access out in the open, prevent secrecy.  Know what is happening in your kids’ “on-line” life.
6.       Guard their Computer Use.  Even secular research warns against addictiveness of video gaming and the negative influence of violent and fantasy world.  Make sure they are masters and not slaves of technology.
Fathers, let’s pray for one another that we may raise together with our wives, together with our church family, a generation of real Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment