Saturday, October 9, 2010

REFLECT THE MERCY OF GOD



C.S.Lewis was asked what is the most notable difference in Christianity – his answer was simple – God’s Grace.  God’s undeserved favour to us is at the centre of Christian experience.  Bible teaches “Freely receive freely give.” (Matthew 10:8)  God’s mercy expects those who have received grace and mercy to pass them on to others.  The only people to whom Jesus was not  merciful were those who did not show mercy to others.
This week I looked over an article published in Adventist Today magazine entitled “Why are they leaving?” where author interviewed people still in the church but about to leave, and those who have left, giving following responses: “The church has nothing for me anymore, the service is stodgy and impractical -- it doesn't help me get closer to a living God, it just feels like an appeasement to the gods of tradition."  Another exclaimed, "You go to church and you feel so silly! Why are we doing these things?! Our lives are falling apart, we are seeking God like starving people, and yet we line up in a place to be spectators and chant? Really?!" A comment came from a brave dedicated soul: "I love the SDA church. I am trying to stay in. But I am terribly bored and I'm also very alone. I don't know how long I can last." 
As I read through I wondered “Where is the Grace?”  Believers coming together, the Body of Christ being assembled corporately is to be about experiencing and giving the Grace into peoples lives.  Yet we constantly hear about how people feel being “judged” in the church.  I think pride leads people to conclude that others are more in need of judgment and criticism than we ourselves are.
Today Canadian society is readying for a long weekend – the Thanksgiving weekend.  It is a good reminder for us all to give thanks first to God for His mercy and favour on us, and to give thanks to people around us through whom God’s grace and favour was enacted.  And also – give grace to others, show favour, make people around you special.  If there is someone who you withheld your grace, forgiveness, mercy, favour from – change it today.  Make a difference, make our church experience on of Grace which is so much needed in this hurting world.

No comments:

Post a Comment