Saturday, June 5, 2010

WHOSE CHURCH IS IT?



Last week Adventist Review published an interesting editorial under title “This is Not "My" Church” causing a lot of responses and opinions from members round the world. Mark Kellner, the author, identifies the popular trend today for the laity to have “ownership” of the church. As a pastor, I reflect desire of all leaders – we want people to have “ownership” of church ministries, of church life and activities.  So, what does it mean?  Do church members, as “stakeholders,” have the “right” to expect, even demand, the church bend its teaching to fit our whims, or the mores of the moment? The contemporary “emergent conversation” postmodern Christian movement suggests that the church is yet to “emerge” and to be shaped by the people.  Traditionalists feel that people who sat in pews the longest have the right to say what goes.
The author of the article grieves that “our longtime embrace of religious freedom is seemingly morphing into solipsistic license.”  He expressed the alarm as people, ones who claim affiliation with and fidelity to the Seventh-day Adventist Church, turn around and proclaim this church “must” embrace teachings and practices that fit constituent’s feelings and opinions.  He goes on to remind that no one “owns” the church – Jesus does.  Jesus said, “I will build my church” (Matt. 16:18), which makes Him the one in charge.  Hence, the true church is built on the Bible.
As I am reflecting on the article I am wondering how do you feel about this church of ours, the London Seventh-day Adventist church?  Is there a difference to say “it is my church, yet, it is not mine?”  I belong to it, and not the other way around.  It is my family, my community, but I do not have dominion over it.  As a part of it I belong to the Lord Jesus, the Groom of this Bride.  I think we all need to get this perspective right.  We belong to Jesus. 
Then what role does the Denominational, Cultural, and Local historical flavour should play?  I think that the essence of the church is the truth, which is Biblical. Each individual, as a part of the Bride of Christ, owns personal responsibility for responding the call to ministry, in different capacity.  And no individual is to take personal role as a substitute for the much Bigger Vision, the Great Mission that defines what Church is to be.
I liked one blogger’s metaphor.  Think of a sport game you really like.  You may say “that’s MY game.”  But is it really “yours”?  As you watch each player plays from their heart and with the best of ability – you may enjoy watching, and then even play yourself in the backyard, with friends.  The Game, though, never becomes “yours” alone – it is much bigger than an individual, or even a group of individuals.
I pray that as you consider the Biblical teaching about the Priesthood of ALL believers, you will recognize that you must claim the “ownership” for your part of contributing to the church life.  Yet, never claim “ownership” of the church itself - it belongs to God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment