Saturday, December 19, 2009

Celebrating Christ

This week people will take time off their busy schedules to be with families as the Christmas season presents a pause. Others will get even more busy, trying to capitalize on boxing day sales and other commercial gimmicks. Some will criticize the whole “Christmas thing” as pagan distortion of what Christianity is about.
I invite you this week to think about the greatest gift of all gifts – the Infinite God sending from his heart the stream of divine compassion to the children of mankind. As I read the first chapter of “Steps to Christ” I am awed how the Spirit of Prophecy presents Christ, the one who came to reveal the character of God as Love.
I invite you to read with me this one paragraph, presenting the character of Christ, which, I wish, would be perfectly reproduced in every one who calls and claims to be Christian. As you read, please notice the balance of God’s Love!
“…Jesus did not suppress one word of truth, but He uttered it always in love. He exercised the greatest tact and thoughtful, kind attention in his interaction with the people. He was never rude, never needlessly spoke a severe word, never gave needless pain to a sensitive soul. He did not censure human weakness. He spoke the truth, but always in love. He denounced hypocrisy, unbelief, and iniquity; but tears were in His voice as he uttered His scathing rebukes….his life was one of self-denial and thoughtful care for others. Every soul was precious in His eyes. While he ever bore Himself with divine dignity, He bowed with the tenderest regard to every member of the family of God. In all men He saw fallen souls whom it was His mission to save…”
As I read and now write this, I pray that my life would reflect such an attitude, that in my passion to speak truth I would do it in love, not rudely, not causing pain to sensitive souls. Instead of censuring human weaknesses, I pray that I would thoughtfully care for each.
I wish you this season, that this gift of tenderness, of regarding every person as a child of God, whom He came to save, would be yours. That the character of Christ will be incarnate in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment