Saturday, January 6, 2007

Into New Year with God’s purpose!

I enjoyed this New Year’s eve as the church family got together for prayer! Secular folks were going crazy at hip places with high noise decibels counting down to who knows what. For believers it’s not just a year 2007 – it’s a year closer to our Lord Jesus’ returning to give us eternity back.

Last year I reminded you of Apostle Peter’s words penned to the early believers: “What manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness!” (2nd Peter 3:11) It’s at times like this, facing a New Year, that I get increased number of calls from people who want to start their year anew. “Pastor, I want to restart the Bible Studies,” “I want to start coming back to church again,” “I am going to stop whatever I was doing the last year.” I listen, I nod my head, and I think to myself: what do you expect from me? I am not your Savior – you need Jesus. But then I think they are also right: they need people, they need us – the Church, that’s why pastor gets called.

In this sea of sin, in this world polluted more and more by lies and deceit people look for lifeboats of salvation. The Church is God’s appointed agency for the salvation of people. It is God’s Plan that through His Church his fullness and His sufficiency, His Grace and His Mercy would be reflected to the world. People need the Lord and He is found in His house, among people who serve Him.

A year ago I invited you to get on board and go to rescue. The questions I posed then still remain: Do you see yourself in the stormy sea, working together as a team, rescuing? I know we are not cuddling comfortably near cozy fireplaces in a safe harbor of the Church building. We are rescuing, building relationships, inviting. Lets not forget that the Church is also a Sanctuary where people come to be renewed.

When I visit with people I have only two offers:

1. Come to Jesus and 2. Come to our Church.

The second is no less important than the first. They are actually inseparable. There is no such a thing as a individualistic Christian. Christ considers the Church to be His Remnant on Earth, His Body.

When I get summoned for help – I cannot go alone without my church praying, serving, teaching, nurturing, helping and loving people. For it is God’s intent that His manifold wisdom should be made known to the whole universe, and especially to the lost people through the church. (Ephesians 3:10)

I pray that we enter into this New Year with God’s Purpose for our being – reflecting His Presence to the world around.

No comments:

Post a Comment